Applications, Forms and Permits

A Leelanau County Road Commission snowplow clears the roads after a heavy snow.

Whether you need to put in a driveway or move a building we can help with permits the Leelanau County Road Commission administers.

Before filling out a permit request, you may find it helpful to review the Leelanau County Right-of-Way standards. 

Also, it is important to determine whether a road on which you are apply for a driveway permit for is a public road (maintained by the Road Commission) or a private road (not maintained by the Road Commission).  If you are not sure, the list of certified public roads can be found under the "Public Information - Road Mileage Certification Maps" tab on this website.

An application to construct a driveway on an existing private road cannot be submitted online and must be issued in person at the Road Commission office in Suttons Bay.  There is no fee for this.

If you are a public utility and need a permit application, please select from the following:

-Permit to install or maintain utilities in the right of way, please click here.

-Seasonal Public Utility Transportation Permit, please click here.

-Seasonal Public Utility - Route Notification Request, please click here.

Upon completing these PDF fillable forms, please email directly to

For Driveway, Land Division, Single Move, Annual Transport, Mobile Home permit or Super Move permits please follow the links listed below:

Click Here to submit and pay online.

Click Here to print and pay by mail.

Please be advised we do not accept permit applications or payments at our Maple City satellite garage. 

Please allow 7-10 business days for permit processing.   To avoid unnecessary delays, please be sure to include your fee payment along with your application.   When submitting your permit by mail, both sides of any permit application must be included.  Permits will not be processed until permit fees have been received.  To avoid unnecessary delays, we now offer a credit card/PayPal payment option.   Faxed permit applications will no longer be accepted.

Informational releases:

Schedule of Fees-as revised 3-7-17
Right-of-way Standards-Revised January 17, 2017
Utility Policy as revised July 2015

Miscellaneous Permits:
Permit applications for road closures and special events cannot be submitted online and must be applied for in person at our Suttons Bay office during regular business hours or by mail.  Please contact Engineer James C. Johnson at (231) 271-3993 extension 224 to discuss specific requirements not found on this website.