Policies & Procedures
The Leelanau County Road Commission responsibilities, in addition to maintaining, repairing and plowing county roads encompass a wide range of other road related issues focused on public safety. These include:
- Working with property owners and contractors to make sure that their need for a new, upgraded or reconstructed driveway also meets standards set by the State of Michigan, doesn’t interfere with public travel and doesn’t create a safety hazard.
- Reviewing the division of private land to determine if the proposed parcels will have adequate sight distance for safe ingress and egress from the public road.
- Establishing a seasonal road system for roads that are closed to public travel from November through April.
- Implementing seasonal weight restrictions. Click on "Public Notice" to learn more about this year’s seasonal weight restrictions and for a list of roads that are exempt from those restrictions. Seasonal weight restrictions are typically implemented in March.
- Work with haulers to ensure they are aware of Leelanau County Road Commission policies that may affect them. Haulers who want to receive notices of changes to road commission policies and seasonal guidelines should send a request with their email address to Leelanau County Road Commission Engineer James Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow These Links to Download These Documents
- Right of Way Standards-Revised January 17, 2017
- Stds & Specifications for Subdivision Streets w/in the Jurisdiction of the LCRC
- Map of all season routes (as of 2018).
- Annual public notice: ROW activities
- Freedom of Information Act Policy-Revised March 2015.
- Resolution 16-03: Permits for the construction of driveways at appropriate points of intersection between platted, undeveloped right-of-ways and improved public highways that are open for public travel.
- Petition to Abandon Road: click here for procedure: click here for petition forms.
- Political and Other Temporary Signs in the Right of Way policy.
- Road End Marking policy.
- Upgrades to Seasonal & Unimproved Roads policy - February 21, 2017.
- Drive permits on Unimproved Roads policy - February 21, 2017.
- List of Seasonal Roads - as approved February 21, 2017.
- Map of seasonal roads (roads not open November - April).
- Permit policy for Safely Allowing Limited Communication Service Provider Facilities Access Within the County Road Right-of-Ways - May 2, 2017.
- Communication Service Provider Right-of-Way Permit: Special Terms and Conditions - May 2, 2017.
- Winter Maintenance on Unimproved Road policy - April 18, 2018.